Subscribe to our newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Parents Care

Hi A.K.A. Models friends! I'm sharing this because as some of you may know...I am a mom of twin 9 year old girls in grade 3. Speaking for many moms...I think I can say that I'm seeing signs already of my kids learning some stuff on the playground about words like fat, skinny, hot, sexy...it's weird to hear the words from children's mouths. I try not to even use bad language around my girls, but I can't hide them from what they're exposed to in society.

One strategy that seems to help them is showing them a little about how advertising works and how models are used to "promote" things. I show pictures as visuals and point out techniques that some "artists" use to give different looks. I'll wear little make-up around my house and then I'll show them how I can use make-up and special clothing for a special occasion. I basically am trying to show them that anyone can look perfect in a picture after the computer manipulates images. So far I think they understand the technical concept, but I think it might help if more kids know what people in the modeling industry know as "illusions".

You'll see me post articles like this once in a while when I hear about people that offer strategies that might help some of you that struggle with the balance of children being used to represent adults when there are so many other more mature and capable models that still "look young" enough for "fashion".
 
*Now check out the article below: